Starting off on the right foot
Whether you have built anything before or not you will have heard some scare stories and may have been through one yourself. Thoughts like this could stop you in your tracks and the project never get off the ground.
To avoid the pitfalls ahead and get it right from the start you will need the kind of guidance in all of the areas that I briefly set out below. By signing up to what is on offer on this page you will be made aware of the process's involve in designing and building, however you wish to take it on from here. By building a relationship with Noel Isherwood Associates you can be assured of the professional skills and knowledge required to achieve success from start to completion in all of the following areas:
1 Concept Design: You have your say
2 Design Principles: Value adding strategies
3 Design and Build Process: Navigating potential pit-falls
4 Professional Experience: Selecting the right team
1 Concept Designs
- Your own ideas will be given priority and we will assist you to achieve your goals by collaboration rather than imposing pre-determined solutions.
- You will be will encouraged you to develop your own ideas with injections of inspiration and technical expertise from us where necessary.
- You will be given time to develop your initial concepts and having them worked into a design before ploughing into the detailed the design stage when it becomes more costly to make design changes.
2 Design Strategies
Design principles will be developed which reflect your values with guidance from us which will then inform the final design. These include:
- Aesthetics: Will the appearance of the resulting project be harmonious and delightful as a design in itself and in relation to the neighbouring built environment or physical context?
- Value: Is the design likely to add or distract from the end value of the project?
- Weathering: Will the building weather well or poorly over time?
- Carbon footprint: Are the chosen materials going to minimise the carbon footprint of the building?
- Health: Will the chosen materials minimise or encourage toxins affecting the internal air quality of the building?
- Cost: Make design a material choices in the light of their affect on the building budget and lifetime cost in use.
3 The Design and Build Process
- Mistakes can be easily made when ignoring the requirements of the distinct stages from initial briefing and contain design to later detail design stage and construction.
- It is our practice is to ensure you are aware of the professional expectations of the design and build process to ensure you avoid unnecessary and costly pit falls.
- We follow the design process known as the ‘Work Plan’ as laid out by the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) a well accepted standard internationally.
4 Professional Experience
- Our combined experience in the practice will give you certainty that your project will be in capable hands from the start to completion. Our experience of residential design projects whether detached, semi-detached, terraced or apartment blocks includes:
- extensions and improvements
- new build projects
- heritage buildings - listed structures and conservations areas.
- Selecting the right team and establishing the right kind of relationships is key to the success of any project and is where many projects fail. Our extensive network of consultants in the Swansea area and beyond will ensure the highest attention to this aspect of the project planning and execution. This includes other professionals required to bring the project to completion such as the Quantity Surveyor, the Structural and Mechanical Engineers and from time to time landscape architects or party wall surveyors.